Youth, Squids and Sharks
What S&S? its our youth program for 7year olds and up, that Sunday may to October during school term time, and the summer holidays, no previous experience is required the program is open and free to all members in that age range, The squids and sharks is intended primarily as fun introduction to sailing and some other water activities such as Stand up paddle boarding and SUPs, in which the children can work towards their RYA youth sailing scheme stages along the way. if you would like to bring you child along contact Richard Hargreaves via firstname.lastname@example.org
What kit does my child need to wear bring?: Sailing is a water-sport and whilst we try to minimise the risk in in the early season before the water has warmed up of them getting wet, they are kids and its water, so they need to come equipped to get wet! so as a minimum they need to go afloat is:
- appropriate footwear old trainers, are ideal weillies and flipflops are not sutible.
- a waterproof top to keep the wind off, preferably not lined
- and a complete change of clothes and towel
- A buoyancy aid (that the club can lend on the day)
the following are not mandatory but are a good idea:
- a hat (sun or warm)
- Sun cream (you get the sun twice on the water because of the reflection so this is a very good idea even early season
- wetsuit are not essential but are a very good idea as they keep you warm if you fall in, which avoids a child having to finish a session early if they fall in.
- The club has a stock of wetsuits we can lend at a £20 refundable deposit, but given these are now a very cheap item to buy we suggest its the first piece of kit you invest in.
- wetsuit boots are now cheap in child's sizes make a massive difference to their comfort in the boat.
Health and safety, Before participating in session we need a parental consent form for participation, photography and medical questionnaire form filling in, Whilst we do have provision for first aid and any emergency situations. during a session our team will usually all be afloat with the group, so we do require the parent or responsible adult is required to remain on site during session, so we have someone to hand a child back to in the event of them needing to come of the water if the get cold or need the toilet for example.
How do I as a parent stay informed about S&S; the best way is via our squids and sharks facebook group which is how we, do most of our day to day communication, we also encourage parents and helpers to let us know via this group if when they are attending a session as it helps us to be more organised on the day.
Do you sail in all weathers: pretty much, we have a range of kit avalible to us that means we can sail in most condition, and on day with no wind we have a fleet of stand-up paddle boards we can use. that said under COVID we are operating under tighter wind limits that ussual. so please do keep you eye on the Facebook group if the forecast is looking less than idea.
Last updated 21:54 on 22 September 2021