Silver Fleet Programme
The Silver Fleet competitions were introduced in the summer of 2008. The idea arose from a discussion between some members in the summer of 2007. Both had experience of sailing at open meetings and class nationals and noted that many events provided 'silver-fleet', 'regatta' or 'plate-series' competitions open to competitors who were not likely to be in contention for the overall competitions. Within Stewartby at the time of the discussion there were many ways for successful and experienced sailors to win prizes with only the Triard award for the plucky member who turns out week-after-week and gets mid-fleet results.
The idea was a simple one. Create a new competition and exclude everyone who had previously won a series, cup event or the championship. This new competition would by its very nature encourage club racers to turn-out on Sundays, improve their racing and try and become the Silver Fleet Series Winner or Silver Fleet Championship.
The three Silver Fleet competitions are:
- Fastnet Series Silver Fleet
- Rockall Series Silver Fleet
- Silver Fleet Championship
In order for their to be a Silver Fleet we must first identify those sailors who have been successful in the past. This naturally leads to the creation of a Gold fleet. The Gold Fleet don't have their own prizes as everyone nominated are in regular contention for the Series, Cup and Championship prizes anyway.
How Gold Fleet members are nominated:
- Members that have been placed 1st in any qualifying series from 2005 will be included within the Gold Fleet. Members who have been placed 2nd or 3rd will be included depending on the number of qualifying helms in the series.
- Existing members who have taken part in, but not qualified for places, in any qualifying series but whose performance would have likely put them in contention of a top 3 place will be included in the series. Performance will be calculated on a weighted average method where high performance will be determined if teh helm is placed in the top 10% of all helms.
- Qualifying series shall include:
- Fastnet Series
- Rockall Series
- Single Handed Series
- Laser Series
- Doublehanded Series
- Houghton Cup
- Caulcott Cup
- Blackaby Cup
- Autumn Series
- Icicle Series.
- Catamaran Series, Age/Gender Series (such as Junior & Masters), Pursuit Series and Special events are not included as qualifying series
- The 2nd place helm shall be nominated if more than 4 boats qualified in the series.
- The 3rd place helm shall be nominated if more than 6 boats qualified in the series.
- Helms who win 2 or more Silver Fleet competitions in a single year, or who win the same Silver Fleet Competition 2 years running shall be included in the Gold Fleet.
- Junior helms shall be included in the Silver Fleet for the Rockall and Fastnet Series but excluded from the silver fleet in the Club Championship. This exclusion is due to the Club Championship featuring a Junior Championship competition.
The your 'fleet' status is shown in the results table of the Fastnet, Rockall and Club Championship Series.
Last updated 10:09 on 19 March 2018