The Big No2 Lockdown
Published 07:22 on 5 Nov 2020
Wednesday 4th November 2020
Dear Sailing Member
As I alluded to in my communication on Sunday, lockdown is, unfortunately, going to impact our activities significantly. Legislation has been approved by Parliament and is effective from midnight tonight in line with the draft guidance issued on Sunday. There is a great deal of lobbying about the decision to cease all outdoor club sports but, I am not convinced there is any appetite from Westminster to budge. For simplicity and clarity, they are going for a one size fits all policy. I have been in discussion with the Main and Sailing Committees and our announcement tonight is based upon the current legal position. If there are any changes to the legislation, we will, of course, let you know.
- The club, along with all operations including the bar, galley, all toilets and changing rooms will close as of this evening. They will remain closed until December 2nd unless any subsequent announcements change that date.
- Members will be able to access the dinghy park and attend to their boats. Still, it is your responsibility to adhere to government guidelines in respect to it being an 'essential journey', 'social distancing' and a 'reasonable excuse' to travel.
- Essential club maintenance will continue subject to guidance and social distancing.
- Any form of coordinated group activity at the club involving more than two persons (gathering) is prohibited except for activities on official club business.
- With regard to sailing and other watersports, the legislation only permits this in a public open space. I have checked the legal definition, and I can confirm we do not qualify. As a consequence, no sailing or other watersports is permitted on the lake during lockdown including casual sailing.
- Activities regarding to the youth groups will cease for the time being.
I am sure many of you like me are disappointed we cannot sail after many months of record numbers on the lake, sunshine and great winds. We all must do our part to keep the virus under control, protect our NHS and our members.
Last updated 20:48 on 30 November 2020