Young people just love sailing. At Stewartby we’re committed to giving as many young people the chance to take-up the sport as possible. Sailing is not elitist or unduly expensive. It is great exercise and skill for life.
Over the last 3 years the club has developed a solid programme of sail training, race coaching and racing opportunities for youngsters of all ages and abilities. In March 2009 this commitment was recognised by the RYA when the club was awarded Volvo Champion Club status.
Key Youth Sailing Programmes
- Volvo Champions Club Coaching: A year long programme of race coaching taking place once a month on Saturdays. This whole-day training event combines classroom based theory sessions with on-the-water exercises and racing drills. Each session is led by a fully qualified Level 2 racing coach.
- Youth Sail Training: Want to gain more experience and become a better sailor? Run by Sailing School Instructors, the youth sail training programme aims to ensure that young people get continuing instruction after they’ve learned to sail and eventually graduate into the coaching programme.
- Junior Summer Camp: For Junior members, summer camp is a week long intensive sailing course for children of all abilities. Normally held in August.
- RYA Onboard Scheme & Schools Programme: Children of all ages will gain their first experience of sailing through their school. The Sailing School has tied-up with the RYA and a number of local schools to offer sailing opportunities throughout the summer months.
We are working hard to put together this year’s youth sailing programme. Many schemes will be making a welcome return and new schemes are in the planning stage.
We are please to announce a few dates for Saturday Youth Coaching during the summer months
- Sat 21st May
- Sat 28th May
- Sat 11th June
- Sat 25th June
- Sat 9th July
- Sat 23rd July
- Sat 13th Aug
- Sat 20th Aug (last one before Topper open !)
- Sep 10th
- Sep 17th (+ evening moonlight sail!)